Chicken and Dumplings Recipe2020-03-10
- Cuisine: American, Appalachian, Country, Northern Appalachian, Southern Appalachian
- Course: Dinner
- Add to favorites
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 People rated this recipe
When the chickin and dumplings recipe comes up it brings a warm comforting meal to the table. With this recipe the Dumplings need to be made the day before. And plan to make a double batch if your family is a hungry for them as mine.
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoons of Oregano
- pinch Thyme
- Salt & Pepper
- Chicken Stock, enough to bind well
- 2 cups flour
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 2-3 carrots, cut up
- 1-2 celeray stalks, cut up
- 1-2 onions, cut up
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup flour
- 3-4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 - 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Chicken (Rotisserie from the local store works well)
DUMPLINGS: Mix dry ingredients, add enough stock to bind. It should still be a bit sticky.
Roll out on floured surface, cut into strips, place on cookie sheet or plate and freeze overnight.
Next day break off chunks of the frozen dough strips and boil in pot for 30-45 minutes.
SOUP: Start melting butter in large pot over, medium high heat.
Add carrots, celery and onion.
Add flour and make rue.
Add chicken stock, mix.
Add cream, mix.
Slow simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Add Dumplings, then and Chicken.